4.3.3. English Proverbs with verbs in the Subjunctive Mood
1. Comment on the use of the forms expressing non-fact in the following proverbs and sayings. Memorize them. Give their Russian/Ukrainian equivalents.
1. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. 2. If there were no clouds, we should not enjoy the sun. 3. If the pills were pleasant, they would not be guilded. 4. If my aunt had been a man, she'd have been my uncle. 5. If "ifs" and "ans" were pots and pans. 6. If it were not for hope, the heart would break. 7. If each would sweep before his own door, we should have a clean city. 8. Many would be cowards if they had courage enough. 9. Pigs might fly if they had wings. 10. I wouldn't have it if you gave it to me. 11. Apothecaries would not sugar their pills unless they were bitter. 12. If things were to be done twice all would be wise. 13. Nothing is so bad but it might have been worse. 14. Nothing is so good but it might have been better. 15. I would if I could but I can't.
2. Complete the following proverbs and sayings supplying suitable conditions.
1. Many would be cowards ... 2. Pigs might fly ... 3. Apothecaries would not sugar their pills ... 4. I wouldn't have it ... 5. I would ... but I can't.
3. Complete the following proverbs and sayings supplying suitable consequences
1. If there were no clouds ... 2. If it were not for hope ... 3. If things were to be done twice .. 4. If wishes were horses ... 5. If my aunt had been a man ... 6. If the pills were pleasant ... 7. If each would sweep before his own door ...
4. Give English equivalents of the following proverbs and sayings Take care to use the verbs in the appropriate form of the Subjunctive Mood
1 Если бы да кабы во рту выросли грибы. 2. Если бы не было туч, мы бы солнцу не радовались. 3. Если бы не надежда, сердце бы разбилось. 4. Кабы свиньям крылья, они бы летали. 5. На хорошее всегда найдется лучшее. 6. Будь моя тетя мужчиной, была бы она моим дядей. 7. Пилюли потому и подслащивают, что они горькие. 8. На всякую беду есть худшая (как бы плохо ни было могло бы быть еще хуже). 9. Задним умом всяк крепок.
10. Если каждый подметет перед своей дверью, то наш город будет чистым. 11. Аптекарь потому и подслащивает пилюли, что она горькие. 12. Если бы да кабы ...
Check your knowledgeEenglish proverbs with verbs in the Subjunctive Mood
Express the idea of the following by using appropriate proverbs and sayings with the required Subjunctive Mood forms of the verbs.
Check your knowledge of abbreviations
What do these abbreviations stand for?
Check your knowledge of the topics
A) Student A makes a report on one of the suggested topics in English, Student B acts as a translator, the rest of the students ask questions in Ukrainian on the topic covered by Student A's report;
b) Student C makes a report on one of the suggested topics in Ukrainian, student D acts as a translator, the rest of the students ask questions in English on the topic covered by Student C's report;
Suggested topics for a report
1. Intrenational military and police organizations;
2. United Nations;
3. United Nations specialized agencies;
4. The International Court of Justice;
5. European Council.